Wednesday 29 December 2010

SNOW POETRY.....

Today I have added paintings about the snow.   The first two have been painted during the current snowy weather.   Everything looks so beautiful and the first morning, after I had fed the birds the dog and I went out to do our walk...   


The excitement I felt at the sight of the familiar landscape transformed I remembered Colerdige's Frost at Midnight....   and am once again grateful that I was at school when this was what one learned.....

"The frost performs its secret ministry,
Unhelped by any wind.  The owlet's cry
Came loud--and hark, again! Loud as before.
The inmates of my cottage, all at rest,
Have left me to that solitude, which suits
Abstruser musings: save that at my side
My cradled infant slumbers peacefully.
'Tis calm indeed! So calm, that it disturbs
And vexes meditation with its strange
And extreme silentness.  Sea, hill, and wood,
This populous village!  Sea, and hill, and wood,
With all the numberless goings-on of life,
Inaudible as dreams! ......."

I find I read poetry more and more ....   and being new to blogging feel that a short extract is better than reproducing Coleridge's poem in full.....

No comments:

Post a Comment