Wednesday 16 May 2012

THERE IS NOTHING CLEVER ......

'there is nothing clever about not being happy' Arnaud Desjardins

I keep a file with some of my favourite poems and sayings on my desktop - and have been looking through it while having a brief pause in activity - too much going on with preparation for DORSET ART WEEKS and ....   I have so many beautiful poems - what gifts they are....   Rumi is one I may just add here

Time to go Home

Rumi

Late and starting to rain, it's time to go home
We've wandered long enough  in empty buildings.
I know it's tempting to stay and meet those new people.
I know it's even more sensible
to spend the night here with them,
but I want to go home.

We've seen enough beautiful places with signs on them
saying This is God's House
That's seeing the grain like the ants do,
without the work of harvesting.
Let's leave grazing to cows and go
where we know what everyone really intends,
where we can walk around without clothes on.

This speaks to me so much and expresses how I feel about this landscape ....

and this one too - I can almost imagine doing a painting of this subject ...

The Baler - Seamus Heaney

 

All day the clunk of a baler
Ongoing, cardiac-dull,
So taken for granted

It was evening before I came to
To what I was hearing
And missing: summer’s richest hours

As they had been to begin with,
Fork-lifted, sweated-through
And nearly rewarded enough

By the giddied-up race of a tractor
At the end of the day
Last-lapping a hayfield.

But what I also remembered
As woodpigeons sued at the edge
Of thirty gleaned acres

And I stood inhaling the cool
In a dusk Eldorado
Of mighty cylindrical bales

Was Derek Hill’s saying,
The last time he sat at our table,
He could bear no longer to watch

The sun going down
And asking please to be put
With his back to the window.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment